- Take a bedtime book like The Bunnies are Not in Their Beds or At Night and add a personalized pillow.
- Give your favorite girly-girl Fancy Nancy and the Posh Puppy with dress-up jewelry and/or a fancy poodle.
- Give your rough little boy Pirates Don’t Change Diapers along with genuine pirate gear.
- Take sweet picture book Lissy’s Friends and pair it with an origami kit.
- Picture book stunners The Zoo or Pssst! would be perfect with a zoo animal collection or game.
- Taking a Bath with the Dog and Other Things That Make Me Happy is a book that deserves its own bathrobe and/or bubble bath.
- Looking for something a little offbeat? Maybe Cowboy and Octopus with a cowboy hat or an octopus.
- For business-minded kids, pair The Lemonade War with a coin counter bank.
- All the elementary school kids will love The Invention of Hugo Cabret, but you can pair it with tin wind-up toys for extra flair.
- Give Moxy Maxwell Does Not Love Stuart Little with um, Stuart Little.
- Give Kimchi & Calamari with a promise for a dinner out Korean style, or Italian style, or both.
- Perhaps Fabulous Hair with a hair accessory kit will make someone smile.
- Wrap up A Crooked Kind of Perfect with excellent socks like the cover.
- Treat a tween to Middle School is Worse Than Meatloaf along with pink nail polish, lipstick, post-it notes, and special bubble bath, as mentioned in the book.
- How about Diary of a Wimpy Kid with a the Do It Yourself Journal?
- Or maybe Here Be Monsters! with a Nightmare Snatcher Journal.
- Or Faeries of Dreamdark: Blackbringer with a fairy diary.
- Buy His Dark Materials Trilogy along with tickets to The Golden Compass.
- Give Young Adult book Beige with a mix CD of the songs in the chapter titles (or an iTunes gift card).
- Give Young Adult book The Astonishing Adventures of Fanboy and Goth Girl with How to Draw Comic Book Heroes and Villains (or an iTunes gift card).
- Match poetry books with poetry beads or magnetic poetry. Some 2007 suggestions: Animal Poems, This is a Poem That Heals Fish, Tap Dancing on the Roof, This is Just to Say, or Blue Lipstick: Concrete Poems.
Posted by MotherReader at 7:29 AM
I’m still working on this year’s titles I’m really hoping for some suggestions in the comments and reposting my first three lists. Today’s list is from last December, focusing on 2007 titles. It should be noted that all the lists have some combinations that will work for other titles. Of course, you can always give your book blogger buddies BACA logo mugs, T-shirts, and bumper stickers available for purchase at the MotherReader store with any non-celebrity book. But we won’t count that suggestion.
Category: Book Buying, Gift Books, Gift-Giving, Holidays, Recommendations, Ways to Give a Book 4 comments