Here are the rules:
- Read and blog within any 48-hour period within the Friday-to-Monday-morning window of June 810. Start no sooner than 7:00 a.m. on Friday and end no later than 7:00 a.m. Monday. So, go from 4:00 p.m. Friday to 4:00 p.m. on Sunday... or maybe 6:00 a.m. Saturday to 6:00 a.m. Monday works better for you. But the 48 hours do need to be in a row.
- It’s your call as to how much you want to put into it. I don’t really expect anyone to read and review for the entire 48 hours, though I suppose it’s possible. If you want to skip sleep and showers to do this, go for it. If you want to be a bit more laid back, fine. If you have to take a five-hour break right smack dab in the middle to take your daughters to a Girl Scout Sing-Along, you can do that. Generally, though, you have to put something into it or it’s not a challenge.
- The books should be about fifth-grade level and up. Think in the two-hundred-page range. Think novels, though nonfiction is fine. Adult books are fine, especially if any adult book bloggers want to play. If you are generally a picture book blogger, consider this a good time to get caught up on all those wonderful big kid books you’ve been hearing about. No graphic novels. I’m not trying to discriminate, I’m just trying to make sure that the number of books and page counts mean the same thing to everyone.
- The length of the reviews are not an issue. You can write a paragraph or a full-on review, but you can count the time writing in your total time. Blog reading doesn’t count. Save it for Monday.
- Let your readers know when you are starting the challenge with a specific entry mentioning that detail. After your 48 hours are completed, write a final summary that clearly includes the number of books read, total page count, the approximate hours you spent reading/reviewing, and any other comments you want to make on the experience. It needs to be posted no later than noon on Monday, June 11, to be counted.
- The winners will be announced here on Monday, and prizes will be awarded for most books read, most hours spent, and most pages read (if it isn’t the same winner as most books read). I’ll also give out some prizes to random participants, just to make it fun for everyone.