There is a fantastic opportunity to find free books (some), collect swag (tons), and meet people (librarians). The American Library Association Annual Conference is coming to Washington, DC, on the weekend of June 22nd and I’m going to be there. In fact, I’m going to Mitali Perkins’s book launch party from 3:305:00 on Saturday, June 23rd, at the DC Public Library. I can invite friends, and I invite you and you and you. (Though you should go here and let Mitali know you’re coming). Liz from A Chair, A Fireplace, and A Tea Cozy will be there. And maybe, just maybe, if we can pry her away from all those publishers greedy for her time, Betsy from Fuse#8 (now at School Library Journal) will come.
After the book launch, we will head to a now-undisclosed location undisclosed because we don’t know it yet for munchies and drinks. Meaning...
it’s a KidLit Drink Night in DC!
I’ve got my people working on possible locations, and I’m sure we’ll know soon. But in the meantime, feel free to mark your calendars, arrange for bus fare, call your cousin in Silver Spring for a visit, and print your business cards. If you aren’t into the whole conference thing... well, neither am I. You’ll see me with the exhibits-only pass, trying to chat up any random authors I find and recognize. Hope to see some of you folks there.
And now it’s time to give props to the many authors and bloggers who donated prizes to the grand prize packages. TadMack and ZG may want to look away, unless they’re the kind that sneak peeks at their Christmas presents. Thanks go to:
- Threadless, who donated the Haiku T-shirt and the Shakespeare hoodie to the contest.
- Tonya Lee Stone, for A Bad Boy Can Be Good for a Girl.
- Celise Downs, for Dance Jam Productions and Secrets and Kisses and cool key clips.
- Sara Lewis Holmes, for Letters from Rapunzel.
- Bonny Becker, for Holbrook: A Lizard’s Tale.
- Jennifer Holm, for Babymouse and Matt Holm, for the original Babymouse sketch.
- Mo Willems, for Don’t Let the Pigeon Stay up Late and winner’s letter.
- Tricia, for the Tibetan prayer flag.
- Beth, for the handmade journal.
- Other Beth, for the handmade jewelry.
- A Wrung Sponge, for original photos and sayings.
- Nancy, for a Starbucks Gift Card.
- And me, for assorted items to balance things out for the two winners.